Friday, August 21, 2009

Game Of Kings Artist Interview: Jordan Clarke

Jordan Clarke is another member of the Game of Kings collaboration.
Jordan is almost a foundation member of Red Bubble coming aboard in the very early days. Her style of Graphic design is both eye catching and original and was a perfect choice for the myriad of styles that make up the mix that is Game of Kings

Thanks for this Jordan, could you start by telling us a little about yourself ?
No worries! Well, I finished studying graphic design back in 2006. It was a great course and I met some amazing people – but by the end I realised that I didn’t really want to be a graphic designer. I’d stared experimenting with graphic illustration in the last few weeks of the course – something just clicked and I knew I’d found my direction.
Now I’m trying to combine traditional techniques with digital – I’m not sure where I fit in yet – but I’m loving the whole process. I’m also working on some new tee designs which I have big plans for. One day I hope I can make a comfortable living out of my artwork!

Which artists influence or inspire you?
My two all time favourites are Frida Kahlo and Cindy Sherman. I love Kahlo’s bold, colourful and emotionally raw paintings. Sherman’s self-portrait photos have really cool themes and I love that she does it all herself.
More recently I’ve been really influenced by Shepard Fairey – his work has made me think about my own early work and how I can push it to the next level through screen-prints and stencils. I’m also influenced by Gil Elvgren’s quintessential pin-ups – especially seeing some of the original photos he used to reference. And of course I’m hugely influenced and inspired by tattoo art and digital collage (which is evident in my portfolio!).
Continue reading here.......

No comments:

Post a Comment